CHOCOLATE SUMATRA CANDY BAR
Crispy Star Anise Truffle, Bitter Chocolate Gelato
Executive Pastry Chef
SUMATRA CANDY BAR
For the Flourless Cake Base:
240g Egg Yolks
130g Valrhona Caraibe/Manjari or Amedei 66% Dark Chocolate
30g Cocoa Powder
300g Egg Whites
• Whip egg yolks with 1/2 sugar to ribbon stage (3 X volume).
• Melt chocolate and add cocoa powder.
• Combine chocolate and egg yolk mixture.
• Whip egg whites and remaining sugar to a stiff meringue.
• Fold in meringue to yolk mixture.
• Bake at 350F (160C) for 12 minutes.
For the Mousse layer:
75 g. sugar
200 g. heavy cream
1 1/2oz. Sumatra coffee beans
50 g. Egg Yolks
300 g. Valrhona Caraibe/Manjari or Amedei 66% Dark Chocolate, chopped
600g. cream, whipped
• Caramelized sugar till dark amber.
• Shock with 800 g. cream and coffee beans.
• Set aside to steep for at least 30 mins.
• Bring back to the heat and let it boil.
• Strain and pour over the chocolate.
• Stir till combine.
• Whisk in yolks.
• Lastly, fold in whipped cream medium stiff peaks.
• Pour over 1 full sheet pan lined with flourless cake at the bottom.
• Freeze overnight before slicing into thin rectangular pieces.
CRISPY STAR ANISE TRUFFLE
For the Truffle Filling:
365 g. cream
75 g. trimoline
10 g. ground star anise
150 g. Valrhona Caraibe/Manjari or Amedei 66% Dark Chocolate
100 g. butter, room temperature
• Bring cream, trimoline and ground star anise to a simmer.
• Gradually pour over the chocolate while stirring, a little at a time.
• Whisk till smooth.
• Let mixture cool down to 35-40C.
• Stir in softened butter.
• Pour into small pan, prepared with wax paper on bottom..
• Let mixture set in the cooler overnight.
For wrapping the truffles:
6 ea filo dough sheets
100g clarified butter
oil for frying
• Unmold star anise truffle filling and cut into 1/2”squares. Freeze.
• Brush butter on one filo sheet and stack filo sheets until all six sheets lay on top of each other with butter between each layer.
• Cut strips 1/2” wide using knife or pastry cutter.
• Place one truffle square at end of strip and wrap around until 1/2 way up strip.
• Cut remaining strip and wrap around other side of truffle so no chocolate is exposed and center is wrapped tight like a package.
• Wrap in butcher’s twine and tie off. Cut off excess twine. Freeze.
• Deep fry truffle in 350F oil until golden brown. Snip twine with scissors and unwrap. Keep warm under heat lamp.
BITTER CHOCOLATE GELATO
1 Litre whole milk
90g Trimoline (or Light Corn Syrup)
260g Valrhona Caraibe/Manjari or Amedei 66% Dark Chocolate
• Heat milk to scald.
• Measure sugar and trimoline (or corn syrup).
• Add to milk, whisking in until sugar dissolved.
• When mixture reaches simmer, add chocolate and whisk until combined.
• Immediately chill in ice bath.
• When mixture is cool, strain and let mature 1-4 hours.
• Spin in ice cream machine following manufacturer’s directions.
The Peninsula Chicago
North Michigan Avenue
Chocolate Traveller Notes
The recipe suggests using either Valrhona Caraibe 66% or Manjari 64%. I would also recommend the Amedei Toscano Black 66% for a similar cocoa percentage option. These particular chocolates provide a bittersweet dark chocolate taste with little bitterness.