This incredibly popular Swiss chocolate is now available to buy within our collection, and including many luxury chocolates from Lindt that are not available through supermarkets and large multiples. We do however include many of Lindt's best sellers such as Lindor milk chocolate truffles and their range of Excellence bars and seasonal chocolates. We would class Lindt as a luxury chocolate brand within the marketplace and due to their mass production, a more cost effective option appealing to more price concious chocolate lovers of all ages.
Showing all 10 products
Read about the history of Lindt chocolate
The story of LIndt began in a small pastry shop on Marktgasse in Zurich's old town in 1845. Confectioner David Sprüngli-Schwarz and his 29 year old son Rudolf Sprüngli-Ammann, who also trained to be a confectioner, dared to do something new: they decided to make chocolate. In particular and in keeping with the new fashion that came from Italy –solid chocolate bars. Up to that point people knew chocolate almost exclusively as a drink. The new chocolate treat quickly became popular among the fine Zurich society so that the chocolate factory had to be moved after just 2 years from the tiny bakery in Zurich to a small factory with water on tap in Horgen on the upper shores of Lake Zurich. Up to ten people were already employed there.
In 1859 father and son Sprüngli opened a second, large pastry shop on Paradeplatz in Zurich. After the death of his father in 1862 the son continued to expand the business – which was located in a booming area next to a bank, a luxury hotel and the stock market. As early as 1870 more space was needed to make the chocolate so they moved back to Zurich – to the “Werdmühle”. Around a decade later Sprüngli already employed around 80 people and supplied chocolates and pralines to many European countries and even to India.
When Rudolf Sprüngli withdrew from business life in 1892 he divided the company between his two sons. The younger son, David Robert, received the two confectioner shops, the larger of which on Paradeplatz bloomed magnificently. Under him and his successor, who all came from the family, it became a business that was known and recognised around the world. The older brother, Johann Rudolf Sprüngli-Schifferli, received the chocolate factory. The far-sighted businessman who was willing to take risks from the very outset, increased the size of the factory facilities at “Werdmühle” and updated their technology.
But the location did not permit further expansion; the city of Zurich was also expanding rapidly at that time and the city authorities planned new buildings for the Werdmühle site. Therefore in 1898 Sprüngli started to build a completely new factory on land in Kilchberg at the shores of Lake Zurich and it started up operations in 1899.
To secure the finance for this large-scale project the privately-owned company was converted into a public limited company called “Chocolat Sprüngli AG”. And the company has never left this location on the left bank of Lake Zurich to this very day.
In the same year “Chocolat Sprüngli AG” bought the Berne-based chocolate factory including the exclusive manufacturing secrets and the famous brand from Rodolphe Lindt, who had developed “conching” in 1879 – the method of producing chocolate that was then far ahead of its time in terms of aroma and melting qualities. His fine melting chocolate, which he called “chocolat fondant” quickly became famous and made a key contribution to the global reputation of Swiss chocolate. The company was later renamed “Chocoladefabriken Lindt & Sprüngli AG” and produced the innovative chocolates both in Berne and Kilchberg. The two partners, Lindt und Sprüngli, ran the businesses together. It was successful – but not always easy.
Only two years after buying the valuable manufacturing secrets from Rodolphe Lindt the second edition of "Die Schokoladenfabrikation" (Darmstadt) expert book was published and it described the manufacture of "chocolats fondants" using conches.
It was in 1905 when Rodolphe Lindt and his relatives August and Walter Lindt completely separated from the company as a result of differences in opinion. Shortly thereafter however, the latter opened a new chocolate factory "A. & W. Lindt" in Berne in breach of the agreement signed. Sprüngli sued, which cost a great deal of money and nerves on his part, but it took until 1928 to have the company liquidated. Today we know that this investment has paid off for Sprüngli: apart from the know-how the LINDT brand alone was worth the purchase price.
In the first 20 years of the new century the Swiss chocolate industry experienced unimaginable heydays; especially when it came to exports Lindt & Sprüngli played an important role in this upturn. Around 1915 the company exported around three quarters of its chocolate production to about 20 countries around the world.
In the years between 1920 and 1945 the company was subject to massive challenges. Global protectionism and the economic crises in the 1920s and 30s gradually resulted in the complete loss of all international markets; the company had to reorganise completely and concentrate on the slowly developing Swiss market.
The Second World War resulted in tough import restrictions on sugar and cocoa and also rationing in 1943. Although sales did not increase between 1919 and 1946, Lindt & Sprüngli survived all of these crises, thanks mainly to consistent adherence to the quality principle - since consumers were hardly able to buy chocolate they should at least have some of the best!
After the war demand rose again quickly; first at home and then abroad.To keep up with the rapid growth in demand and markets the now out-of-date machines had to be replaced and the factory enlarged. The company signed promising licensing agreements with the aim of establishing a foothold in other countries: 1947 in Italy, 1950 in Germany, 1954 in France. The company also expanded in the domestic market: in 1961 the company acquired Chocolat Grison in Chur, in 1971 Nago Nährmittel AG in Olten and Chocoladefabrik Gubor in Langenthal. All three were fully integrated into the company as branches in 1971.
The establishment of an international group of companies began in 1977 with the take-over of the shareholdings of the French licensee. In 1986 followed the acquisition of the German LINDT business and the establishment of “Chocoladefabriken Lindt & Sprüngli GmbH” in Aachen, followed by the opening of a factory there in 1988. Also in 1986 Lindt & Sprüngli (USA), Inc. – founded already in 1925 in New York – was re-activated to assume the LINDT business in the USA. In 1989 the production and administration buildings in Stratham, NH, came into operation.